Please keep us informed.   I wonder if VOIP that the cable companies offer is
also open to hacking

________________________________
From: Mike Copeland <m...@ggisoft.com>
To: profox@leafe.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 5, 2012 3:45 PM
Subject: Re: [NF] VOIP hacking

As it turns out, yes....surprise to me, too.

>From what I can tell, they resell the overseas LD calling to people at
a discounted rate.

While VOIP data might originate and travel as a string of data packets
on our end (the source), eventually it will almost always have to exit
the Internet and enter the POTS phone system...which is TOTALLY based on
tariffs and fees, often distance based for billing.

One thing I've found out in the last 18 hours is that, in this
situation, there is no router/NAT box between their VOIP hardware and
the public WAN address. I have no idea whether that is a bad thing, but
it sure seems like it would expose the hardware (and the software it is
running) to probing and scanning for nothing more than saving a couple
hundred bucks (at most.)

Mike