On Dec 7, 2012, at 8:20 PM, G Gambill <gwgamb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, do you know if FoxInClouds requires Windows? I'm hoping to get away
> from finding a provider that offers Windows.

        If you are looking to get away from Windows, then I think that that
pretty much rules out all Fox-based approaches.

        I have found Python to be the language which most closely resembles
Fox. No, the syntax isn't similar, but the approach is. Both are dynamic
languages which are strongly-typed. PHP is dynamic but weakly-typed, and that
causes a lot of problems when transitioning. Python also has a much stronger
object model than PHP; it's much more similar to VFP in that regard.

        The other intangible with Python is the awesome community. People ask
me why I still support the Fox community when I haven't worked with Fox in
nearly 5 years, and I always tell them that it has an amazing community of
extremely helpful people. That's exactly what I've found the Python community
to be like, so if you're thinking of not just doing a one-off project, but
instead looking toward the next phase of your development career, Python is
certainly an excellent choice for many reasons.

        Oh, yeah - there's Dabo, too. I hear it's pretty cool.  ;-)

-- Ed Leafe