I bet storing a SHA hash of each audit entry would suffice. Then validation could regularly choose audit entries at random, re-hash, and compare, proving that the
values didn't mutate.

Thank you.

Proving that values didn't mutate isn't the same as preventing them from being mutated.

Nor would hashing each entry separately prevent them from being deleted. Deleting an entry indicating that so-and-so accessed such-and-such a record at such-and-such a time would be a pretty serious form of tampering.

But in this context of health information requirements, does "immutable" really mean "immutable"; that is, incapable of being changed? Or does it only mean that changes can be detected? And if it means the latter, do we have to have audit logs of the audit logs, and audit logs of the audit logs of the audit logs?

I'm thinking that the plain language of the "immutable" requirement is nonsensical, but that in practice there are techniques that the people who created the requirement will accept as meeting it. If so, what are they?

Ken Dibble
www.stic-cil.org