At 15:44 2013-02-07, Dan Covill <dcov...@san.rr.com> wrote:
On 02/07/13 02:08 PM, MB Software Solutions, LLC wrote:

What do you mean you limit lines to 72 characters?  Me thinks your
making a joke!  (I recall columns 73-80 were for special characters or
something back in COBOL or FORTRAN, right?)

They were for sequence numbers which were handy if you dropped your card deck.

I stopped using columns 73-80 when I stopped using the card punch!  <g>
Source code is meant to be read by humans, we compile it for the machine. I keep my lines short (and my levels of indentation modest) so that it will be easy to read by whatever idiot (most likely me!) has to install a fix or modification.

I am similar. I limit my lines to 77 characters. In WordStar 2000, with line breaks being shown, that is the longest line that fits in 80 characters. I like to be able to vertically scroll through my code and see it all. Horizontal scrolling is awkward.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko