To: <profox@leafe.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2006 5:34 PM
Subject: Re: Revenue model for open source databases (was Re:Anyone usedSQLExpress?)

Virgil Bierschwale wrote:
Glory and a buck 50 will buy you a cup of coffee at the local cafe.... <grin>

Seriously though, thats been my arugment for years regarding freeware...

And I guess that's why IBM has invested so heavily in Linux, huh? :) Not to mention just about every other computer company on the planet. There used to be a day when software was free, long time ago. I'd even bet you remember those days...

Right now the developers do it as a hobby because they enjoy it and they have a full time gig paying the bills..

Look at all of the software you can download from Ed's forum, or the UT, or the (old) CompuServe FoxForum. Lots of reasons to do free software.

Support, training, custom apps built on top of a free engine...

As well as a rather decent demonstration of one's ability. Take two programmers vying for a job. One of them wrote a freeware tool that's in wide use; the other has had his head in a cubicle for the last five years.

The hiring boss says, "Oh, wow, you wrote THAT? We use that around here all the time!"

The other guy doesn't even get a call back.

LOTS of reasons to write free software, just as there are lots of reasons to, oh, let me think.... work a soup kitchen on Thanksgiving night, be a Boy Scout den leader, read to your daughter's first grade class, help sell books at the local library's annual fundraiser, oh, maybe even answer questions on an online forum, without getting paid, ya know.

Whil