It seems that division by zero is not caught by VFP. In the command window,
type ? 1/0 <return>, and you get a line of asterisks, right? (I'm running VFP9
SP2.)

I have a form which evaluates a string expression and sends the result back to
its caller. The only way I have found to catch division by zero is in a form
method like this:

LOCAL loEx As Exception, lnTmp As Double
*!* THIS.cExpr is entered into an edit box on the form, THIS.nRetVal is the
form return value
loEx = .NULL.
TRY
    THIS.nRetVal = EVALUATE(THIS.cExpr)
    lnTmp = 1/THIS.nRetVal
    = MOD(THIS.nRetVal, lnTmp)    && catches error 1307
CATCH TO loEx
ENDTRY
IF ISNULL(loEx)
    THIS.Release()
ELSE
    THIS.HandleException(loEx)
ENDIF

I think it wrong that VFP does not catch this error natively, unless I've
missed a SET command or SYS() function.

Any thoughts people?

Laurie Alvey

multipart/alternative