On 09/07/2013 10:54 AM, Ted Roche wrote:
On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Jeff Johnson <j...@san-dc.com> wrote:

I have successfully populated a PDF with data using an FDF file.

Congratulations! What tool did you use?

What I would like to do now is get data out of a fillable PDF.

Can't you use the FDF file?

  I have looked around quite a bit and read that there are free third party
utilities that can do that but all I could find is libraries that range for
$400 to $1000.  I don't want to use a browser (unless there is a way to do
it invisibly).

The PDF Toolkit (http://www.pdflabs.com/tools/pdftk-the-pdf-toolkit/) has
wroked well for me. Dump the data with

pdftk YourInputFile.PDF dump_data|dump_data_fields >output.txt

and then parse the result from there.
Ted, upon your recommendation I purchased the book PDF Hacks. For populating fillable PDF's all I did was use a program called PDF Converter Professional to identify the fields in the PDF. That only needs to be done once and doesn't need to be part of your application. Then I used VFP to build the FDF file with the data from my DBF. Linking the FDF to PDF couldn't be easier. I searched the text of the book and I don't see where or if entering data in the PDF changes the values in the linked FDF. Question: If I have and FDF linked to a fillable PDF, will entering data in the fields change the data in the FDF? I haven't tried it but that would be great.

I will check out your link.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

Jeff Johnson