It was more of a case that the client comprehend the complexity of his business, and was confusing himself with his own terminology. For just one example, he had a field for "PPC" or "Pieces per carton". For one vendor he would mean it to be "100 pieces in the carton make up one product" and for another vendor he would use it to mean "4 products are in each carton". When I took over that module of the project, we had to have a long discussion on how to straighten the meaning of that field and the resulting calculations.

(Don't shoot the messanger.  I wasn't the original designer.)