On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 10:42 AM, John R. Sowden
<jsow...@americansentry.net> wrote:
> We had a computer freeze during the night (it gets cold in the SF Bay Area),
> and the worker was doing data enter into a dbf using foxpro/dos 2.6, under
> program control.  I flush the buffer after every record entered, due to some
> 'segment errors' of yesteryear. Now we cannot get back into the dbf because
> it comes up as a 'not a dbf'  error.  I have solved this in the past but I
> don't remember how, and usually it was a trial and error.  I deleted the
> .cdx file, as I can create it easily again.  I backup this type of dbf
> daily, but I would rather her not experience the re-entry process as it will
> reduce her confidence in computers.
>
> This is a header issue.  What is a clear solution to this.  I have hex
> editors, I can write code using foxpro low level file access, etc.  I looked
> at the header and saw the first 16 bytes as:
>  03 0D 0B 09 04 19 00 00-21  01 4B 00 00 00 00 00
>
> The file has about 6500 records (est-my daily backup wrote over the good dbf
> with the bad dbf (need to rethink my daily backup program ;) )backed up
>
> The answer might help others with the same error.
>
> John

IIRC having FoxBase (yes, FoxBase) around came in handy for this sort
of thing. If you go into FB and (fuzzy memory here) APPEND FROM or
COPY TO or similar it would often fix these sorts of problems...

Maybe in import/export with Excel?

--
Matt Jarvis
Eugene, Oregon USA