On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM, Garrett Fitzgerald
<sarekofvul...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey, folx. I've been thinking about how to get the Bangor Band's music
> library out of Excel and into something a bit more functional. I can, of
> course, think of how to do it relationally -- what I'm wondering is, would
> anyone care to suggest another platform to do it on? And why? :-)

Hey, Garrett! Long time no chat.

Since this is the FoxForum, and I actually still make a fraction of my
living from it, We ought to say "FoxPro!" So, that's out of the way.

So, you want to go relational? Composer, arranger, musical title, which
instrument and part, etc. There's surely a relational structure you can
overlay on your data.

The first rule of good programming is "be lazy." Hasn't someone already
done this? (Surely they have). This seems to be an especially hard thing to
Google. "Band music library software" is just as likely to get you a local
string band playing at the library, or the library's list of music for
loan. Lots of variations were unsuccessful. Found that "orchestral library
software" seemed to yield some good results, although sample libraries are
in that result, too. [BTW, folks: in case you think this is just an
inventory job, check out this job listing:
http://www.adaptistration.com/jobs/listing/orchestral-librarian/ or this
post:
http://www.polyphonic.org/article/the-role-of-the-orchestra-librarian-as-music-copyist/
]

So, a good question before we answer yours is to ask "What do you want it
to do?" If there are surprising features, like "transposing into a new key"
and output to MIDI, that's likely to change the recommendations. Do you
want barcode labels to speed inventory control? (
http://www.musiclibrarian.net/ does this. Check out their site, great
demos!)

The next question is "how can you hand this off to someone else?" I presume
this is a partially-volunteer operation, so finding a solution you can pass
along is probably a key feature.
If you write it in FoxPro, you're likely supporting it forever. If you
write it in Access, you can probably easily foist it off on most anyone. Or
Excel. If you make it a hosted multi-tier solution that requires Apache
directives, it would require a web-savvy manager. Obviously, if you
buy/rent/lease software from a commercial source, that's not your problem.

I think that the Internet is taking over the world, and that everyone will
have a desktop, tablet and/or smartphone with Internet access. Even
musicians. In Bangor. This offers portability, remote access, device and OS
compatibility. Accessing the db from the orchestra pit, band room and at
home would be a win. The downside, of course, is that it needs someone
familiar with hosting, admin, security, etc. (This can be a nice "in kind"
donation from a local development shop.) Since it's likely a fairly small
amount of data (vs. Big Data, anyway) and a handful of simultaneous users,
any of the major RDBMS (Postgres, MariaDB/MySQL, etc.) should be able to
handle your needs. So, if this turns into a web app, the answer is that any
of the popular platforms (PHP, Python, Ruby, Perl) should be able to
support the app functionality; it's more a question of locating the talent
and securing support.

Finally, I've never seen an app that took less time than I thought it
would. My first task as a consultant is to convince clients that the last
thing they want to do is build custom software. It is the most expensive,
highest risk solution to a problem. If the problem is the right one, the
return on investment makes custom development the right answer. If not,
off-the-shelf software, integrating/customizing available software, or
modifying their procedures to fit pre-packaged software is often the right
path.

Good luck!

-
Ted Roche