I'm trying to throw together a gymnastics school in a cloud that includes
skill tracking, an attendance and billing system. Since I don't have
accounting experience, I need help with the invoice structure so I have
questions.

Tables involved as I have progressed so far: classes, students,
clients(person billed), spots(current list of students per class), and
sessions

A session can be 4-weeks, 5-weeks or 11-weeks (summer option where a
customer may pick which of the 11 weeks they want to attend).

In the end I want to take roll per class. classID, studentID, sessionID,
(date?). This is where I get hazy. Where do I put attended/absent fields
when it will be class/session/date related.

Class-1 could meets Mondays at 4pm. (Labor day-off..1-less week) Class-2
could meet up to 4-times per week. A student could be enrolled in more than
1-class (discount-eligible). Client-12 may have multiple children (also
discount eligible).

I'm thinking my invoice to bill clients for a session, will be the same
table I take enrollment in. It gets complicated as we try to allow
occasional make-ups when other classes have room to accommodate an extra
student. We also allow a student to jump in for the last week of a session
as openings permit and we would pro-rate that session so they only pay from
their start and forward. We have waiting lists for most of our classes
(which means a scheduled make-up is rare).

My overall goal is to take attendance and note skill achievements with
i-pads or equivalent device out in the gym and let our office manage the
billing. A cloud would be ideal where parents could check student progress
and interact with notes to and from coaches and so on.

I'm not afraid of doing the work but I'm not sure how to proceed and I don't
want to make a big fluffy data records that never get used.

Gary Jeurink

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---