I would trust Christof with the exact definition.

Our company and many of our clients are running almost everything from 'cloud' servers now. All our software is written in vfp9 sp2.

What we do is not worry about the server hardware or location. We just ask one question: Can we have win2003 standard server (I am sure other versions work fine, but we like that xp-like interface). If it does then you can install your vfp9 sp2 application exactly like it is on an xp/vista/win7, etc computer on your local network. The only difference is that you access it with RDP. FTP your usual installation application onto the server to a folder like C:\Temp and install as usual. The cloud servers we have helped install all give you an administrator and one user account. If you want other simultaneous users, you will need to pay more per user and possibly add more memory depending on the performance you require. If you have used win2003 server then you won't need any training.

We have many users who have a win200x server on their local network accessed by various computers: xp, vista, win7, etc. This requires someone to maintain it and can be expensive. You can easily move those users to the cloud and eliminate almost all your support headaches once it is working smoothly.

You will have to work out printing and access to usb, etc - I can't advise on that.