To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 6:58 PM
Subject: Re: Trivial Infringements of Law 13 tangent

On Aug 15, 2006, at 7:37 AM, Gil Weber wrote:

Ah, if you look at the initial "tap" as a non-event, then you are
correct. The IFK went into the goal directly and so the restart would
be a goal kick.

I had not considered the initial "tap" to be a non-event.

What else could it be? If the ball didn't move, then it's a non- event. If the ball moved but was not kicked, then it's simply 'placing' the ball for the kicker. Either way, if that touch didn't put the ball into play, and it is stationary, the subsequent kick into the goal puts the ball into play, and since it's an IFK, the restart is a goal kick.

Of course, if the ball is still moving from the first touch, then the ball was never legally put into play, and the kick is retaken.

-- Ed Leafe