On 4/21/2014 1:09 PM, Ted Roche wrote:
Jim:

Congratulations on your retirement! I am also a bicycle fan, but I don't
find it reasonable to bill my clients for time that isn't spent building
their applications. Sure, the value of our product is based on the care and
thought we put into it, and not the number of keystrokes, and it should be
priced that way, but you reflect that in your hourly rate, and not in
tracking the seconds spent thinking about an app. The *best* system design
I *EVER* did (and it was magnificent, if I do say so myself) came to me in
a dream. Much as I'd like to, I can't in good conscience, charge the client
for my time spent sleeping. But the amount of time documenting,
implementing and refining that design is billable.

When I get stuck on a programming task, as often happens between 3 and 4 in
the afternoon, I punch off the clock and walk the dog. When I return, I
usually have the problem solved. That's what we're paid for, solving
problems. But that time gets billed to the dog, not the client.