I'm not sure I understand your point, Ken.

The rule, "Don't use C:\Program Files to store your DBF's", should be followed
because if you don't your program won't work.  And that rule didn't come from
Microsoft, it came from folks like Doug Hennig figuring out how to cope with
the rule that DID come from MS, namely, "We've decided to protect you by making
C:\Program Files read-only", with no advance notice.

So who are you rebelling against?

I follow that rule by passive uninvolvement, because I never did put any of my
apps, program OR data, in C:\Program Files.  It seemed like a bad idea to me,
and so it proved to be.  So, the original MS rule, that Program Files was God's
chosen place for programs, I did rebel against.  Is that the one you're
referring to?

(And you don't want C:\Program Data either, IMO.  C:\MyApplication is a lot
safer, and is approved by Zeus, Thor, Allah, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster,
not just God!)

Dan Covill

> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 20:50:10 -0400
> To: profoxt...@leafe.com
> From: krdib...@stny.rr.com
> Subject: Re: VFP 9 SP 2 on Windows 8
>

> > > Don't use "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Program Files (x86)" to store your
> > > DBFs.
> > > They are read-only in Vi$ta, 7 & 8. Try "C:\ProgramData"!
> >

> Do you always follow rules just because somebody makes them?

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---