From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 6:36 PM
To: ProFox Email List
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Yet another tech test

Virgil Bierschwale wrote ..

> I just formatted the drive on the spare computer, removed fedora and I'm
> in
> the process of putting xp on it and thinking about vista on my laptop
> (worried about quicken and zip forms)
>
> My opinion of linux.
> Could be very nice, but you need to be a tinkerer and I don't want to
spend
> time tinkering as I want to turn the key and run with it..
>
> Final analysis, back to windows for me and linux isnt ready for the
average
> user.

        The problem wasn't Linux; it was the fact that I was changing
several things at once, and when it didn't work, it was hard to figure out
just where the problem was. I was also using several programs that were over
3 years old, since they were still working fine, and I have better things to
do than tinker with my server all the time.

        The reason that the regular list worked and the tech list didn't was
that there are several custom programs I wrote to do the filtering magic,
and they relied on several external programs, one of which changed a setting
name going from the old version I was using to the new version. In Windows,
the equivalent would be calling a procedure in a DLL whose parameters
changed from one version to the next.

-- Ed

multipart/mixed
---