On Mon, May 19, 2014, at 04:43 PM, Kevin Cully wrote:
> Isn't a lot of VFP already open sourced?  It's just the core C libraries
> that aren't ... and never will be.
>
> I was talking with another VFP developer the other day and we were
> lamenting how much more difficult it is to develop desktop applications
> now.  Shouldn't software development be getting easier even though the
> features are getting more powerful?  That doesn't seem to be the case,
> but I'm getting old and more curmudgeony.

There aren't so many everything-in-one-box desktop-centric tools that
are actively developed any more. There's Xojo (RealBasic as was) and a
couple of similar tools, Delphi is still going, LiveCode is powerful but
clings to ancient HyperCard-style syntax. The ecosystems in which these
applications run now are far more powerful but also far more complex and
that filters down to the development tools.