Ajoy,
The usual procedure of using a "data object" which is an object containing the
current, or in the case of a new record, a blank set of data is used. You do
the changes to the data object by binding the object properties to the form
controls (textbox etc) and then you can freely manipulate the data in your
program using business logic to validate the fields and then commit the object
for writing to the database - or adding if it is a new record.

I won't go into the areas of Biz objects at this time as it opens up a whole
area of discussion but simply but in simple terms you

1. Load the form

2. In the form init() create an object property to hold the current record or
blank record as an object with properties and bind the object properties to the
form controls.

3. Get the data record from the underlying table then Scatter the data from the
record into the form "data object". You can scatter a blank record which will
set the data object up for insertion (see scatter blank memo)

4. Enter/Modify and/or validate the data object properties using standard
controls on the form as the data will now be bound to the form controls.
Nothing is written away to the DB at this time and only the data object is
modified

5. If you want to write the data back to the DB then gather the data back from
the form "data object" and write/commit it to the underlying DB table.

In this way you can use the same logic on VFP or SQL remote data as the only
change needed is the rear/write functions. You can do this using SPT or Table
adapters. Personally I don't like TA's, but this is just my opinion.

Please don't take this as the only way top do it as I am just trying to show
you how you need to separate the data from the underlying database by loading
it into an object upon which you perform all the data manipulation/verification
etc before writing it away.

Dave