From: ProfoxTech [mailto:profoxtech-boun...@leafe.com] On Behalf Of Ted
Roche
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 4:44 PM
To: profoxt...@leafe.com
Subject: Re: Is there a better way...

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 6:11 PM, Mike Copeland <m...@ggisoft.com> wrote:

> I was simply 'wondering out loud' if such a process was possible
> (communicating upstream from server) between MariaDB and VFP. I can
> see a lot of places it would be useful, but what triggered the
> question is a simple scenario where a manager would be monitoring as
> minions process inventory returns...looking for anomalies and
> incomplete data. The returns are on-going all day long and can
> sometimes not 'happen' for several hours, or there can be two dozen in
> 10 minutes. It is really nothing more than a simple monitoring process.

OK, sorry if shot you down on purely pragmatic reasons. It's a more complex
solution, possibly more fragile, and would require a lot of checks and
balances to get right. (As Gene pointed out, what if they client crashes,
etc.).

MariaDb doesn't have an API for poking the clients; it's a database server
designed to respond to incoming requests. However, there is always a way :)
There is an API for writing your own extensions. You could hook up an
extension to fire on a database trigger. And that extension could be
designed to "poke" a registered client -- you'd have to think about what
protocols to use, how to get the message to VFP, how VFP would respond, etc.
If you had MariaDB running on a Windows-ish platform, it could likely use
DDE or OLE Automation (DCOM) to talk to a matching VFP app. Like I said,
lots of infrastructure, lots of edge cases to write error-trapping for,
managing stacks of callbacks, etc...

--- StripMime Report -- processed MIME parts --- multipart/alternative
  text/html
---