On 7/28/2014 10:02 AM, mbsoftwaresoluti...@mbsoftwaresolutions.com wrote:
On 2014-07-28 09:36, Jeff Johnson wrote:
Michael:  I have a registration program that assigns a unique key to a
customer.  That key is used to turn on custom reports or activities in
the software for that customer only.  I did a trial version once where
I put a number of days check in my registration program.  The date and
the number of days left was stored in two different places on the
system.  One in a data folder and one in an appdata folder.  If they
changed the system date than I knew it and shut them out.  If they
tried to install on a different computer, they would have to activate
it.  If they tried to find and delete the file with the date & number
of days in it, I knew that too. Simple yet very effective.

Hi Jeff,

Good ideas. For this app, it's really just a "get it into their hands yesterday" kind of thing and it is definitely not a long-term solution for them. I've already told them that I'd move them to the new app when it's ready, but they want to get started now, so I'll give them the app that's been working since 2003 with a timebomb of sorts in it. Quick and dirty for the task at hand. Elegance not necessary for this go-round. :-)

Put your counter in a "counter.txt" file or something like that and then I've taken an exe file from anywhere and used low level access to change the date. The executable is not useable but is a great place to hide the counter. Quick, dirty and sneaky.

--
Jeff

Jeff Johnson
j...@san-dc.com