As a developer, I like to open up global connections and keep them open.
    From a DBA perspective, they like us meager developers to close the
connections to help with server resources, and (I suspect the real
reason) is that they don't violate their licensing.

I haven't ever had problems with the connection using VFP to SQL Server.
  I don't have enough experience with MySQL to say however.  I would
think that a connection manager, that wraps communications in a TRY
CATCH would work well when attempting to keep connections open.

HTH.

Kevin Cully
CULLY Technologies, LLC

Sponsor of Fox Forward 2006!