At 12:24 2014-09-22, Paul McNett <p...@mcnettware.com> wrote:
On 9/22/14, 12:02 PM, Ken Dibble wrote:

And to everyone, in general: I appreciate your input, but I've posed two
specific questions, seeking specific, narrowly defined solutions. I
intend to work within the boundaries of those definitions. So if you
don't have suggestions regarding how to:

1. Create a dynamic shortcut that communicates across a LAN in Windows

or

2. Talk to an SMTP server not using SSL

then you are most likely wasting your time.

When I see someone working really hard to do something specific, and there's some general pattern available that covers it, or a best practice I'm aware of, I want to try to help.

Sorry if it was noise.

     What Paul wrote plus:

People suggesting more general things may be thinking that you might be going down a false trail or that you might not be aware of other possibilities. You will be the final judge, of course.

And we write for the benefit of others as well. (Someone else might snag that code I posted and put it to use. That is fine by me.)

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko