From: ProfoxTech [profoxtech-boun...@leafe.com] on behalf of Desmond Lloyd
[desmond.ll...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2014 11:07 AM
To: profoxt...@leafe.com
Subject: VFP6 Severe memo bloat

Good morning,

Wanted to share with everyone and solicit any thoughts...

Huge,  233 field,  over 200,000 record table with approximately 20 index
tags.

Runs under our manufacturing system,  it has been "relatively fine".  Have
some issues with memo fields in the past.  Was able to correct by
re-writing the file,  packing memo.

About a month a ago started noticing some noticeable delays when running
queries against this table.  Significant but they ran....  Last night I
started to run a report and it hung...  No error message,  nothing,  had to
"force close" VFP...  Tried copying the file (with production) somewhere
and that would bomb with fatal exception error.    Tried different copy
to,  next 100,  next 500 that kind of thing.  Accidentally ran into the
fact that if I set a filter or ran a query for a certain condition it
would  "would blow".  So I opened the culprit file,  set a filter to that
condition,  made a copy of the structure and walked the filtered original
scatter memvar appended blank to the copy and when it blew up I know what
record was having the issue...

...so,  it turns out that some of the records had memo fields that were
stuffed (in one case) with 125,000 characters!   This was after a pack
memo.  Replacing the contents of the malcontent memo field resolved the
issue....  I finally identified six of these puppies,  made the replacement
and all is well...

Any suggestions, thoughts on how to avoid?  Was thinking of running a query
for len(mymemofield) > 5000,  periodically and see what I find...  How in
the blue blazes do you get 125,000 characters in a memo field?   obviously
VFP6 does not like it...

Appreciate the input,
Regards,
Desmond