Christof,

It seems this should have some bearing on Mike's interest.

---------------

I'm not sure... This article talks about running Windows Server applications
as a container. It'll help to deploy server based Windows applications on
Windows Server 2014 R2/2016 and onward. There is no mention that you can run
existing Linux containers on Windows Server or vice versa.
-----------------------

I was thinking that such a scheme might offer configuration opportunities
that would make a switch to a Windows server worth it, given the alternative
is to have multiple copies of Windows installed. Just doesn't seem right  to
have to do it that way and I thought/hope this container concept would offer
relief from that configuration.

------------------------

It doesn't help a typical VFP desktop application, either.

To the contrary, actually. Windows virtualization is largely driven by the
need to run separate OS server systems for a variety of server applications
for compatibility and security reasons. This led to Windows DataCenter
virtualization with unlimited licensed instances per licensed Server. Most
companies that want to centralize VFP desktop applications rely on these
licenses with terminal server farms or remote desktops.

When the need to run many virtualized servers fades away, there is little
incentive for Microsoft to keep this license model. Instead they are free to
push their own Desktop As a Service approach that is  more expensive
(Windows DataCenter is less than $150/month).

For a modern server based application, I can see that this is a sweet
development. As a classic desktop developer I just see one required more
piece going away.

To be sure, I don't run or offer my VFP products to run on the web, so I'm
unaware of the licensing. Sounds like it's not going in the right direction!

Bill