Dave,

My first programming assignment was to maintain part of a (very large) existing
system.  I am eternally grateful, because a) it is much easier to fix/modify a
working program than to try to create one and b) you learn a lot about how NOT
to do some things.  So the maintenance is a great initial assignment.

Don't give him an assignment as an 'observer' and expect him to learn by
watching other folks solve problems.  Make him responsible for solving the
problems, and let the experienced hands be the observers, providing information
and help as necessary.  You learn way faster by doing than by watching.

Dan