TrueCrypt - the warnings you'll see on websites are probably 'political', but there are older * definitely * safe versions out there.

On 20/01/2015 20:51, John Weller wrote:
I occasionally have to carry files containing name and address information
from one location to another on a USB memory stick.  To comply with the UK
Data Protection Act those files should be encrypted or protected in some
way.  I am looking for a utility that will allow me to do that - any
suggestions?  It should be cheap, preferably free :-) and be stand-alone; I
want to be able to plug it into any computer and after entering a suitable
password be able to copy the files in an unencrypted state on to that PC.  I
know there are several apps about that claim to do something similar but the
ones I have seen don't seem to be stand-alone.  Has anyone any experience of
this and can recommend a suitable app?

Regards

John

John Weller