Update: I've looked at Evernote for many years and always rejected it
because it was too awkward or buggy for me. The 5th or 6th time appears
to be the charm ... at least on newer Apple OSX and iOS devices. Based
on my 3 week experience so far ... all Apple device based ... I have to
say I'm extremely-extremely impressed. I can't speak for the Windows or
Android versions of this product which seem to lag behind the Apple
versions ... but for Apple users on newer hardware I say this product is
highly recommended ... currently at top 3 product for me. Thanks to all
who responded to my original question.

Here's some tips for anyone who wants to give Evernote a go:

1. Install the software on all your devices that are fast enough to use
this software. See Christof's comments on performance issues with
earlier iPhones as an example. Note: The basic version of the software
is free for a platforms.

2. Make sure to use leverage the Web Clipper browser extension for
quickly pushing browser content to Evernote. You can push URL, full or
simplified web pages, screenshots (that can be annotated) or images.

3. Check out The Secret Weapon (TSW) methodology for applying structure
to your notes. All content on this site is free. Excellent ideas. See
thesecretweapon.org.

4. The business card scanning and OCR feature works extremely well.
Amazing! No need for a separate business card scanner app.

5. The basic version of Evernote is free and appears very full featured.
I quickly upgraded to the Premium version ($5/month) for the ability to
have my scans automatically OCR-ed and made searchable. An unexpected
bonus is the Premium plan's new Context feature which attempts to show
related notes and websites when you view a note. Example: I was writing
a Todo type note for a project and typed in my customer's name ... when
I returned to the note there was a mini contact card with this person's
face and a link to his LinkedIn profile in the Context section of the
note. This feature isn't perfect ... but when it works its almost
creepy.

6. Learn the application hotkeys. They make moving around Evernote
extremely efficient. There are also global hotkeys that allow you to
quickly create a note from anywhere on your system.

Malcolm