Thanks Man-wai, Data, hard disk are fine. Even if this issue wasn't there,
all is backed up.

So, I ran the hardware test and *Yay!* I got an error. Confirms Kurt's
brilliance! ;-)

Off I toddle to Wurst Buy, pick up a new SIMM, and perform surgery on the
computer. Well, I have 2 8-gig SIMMs. Which one is bad? So, with a 50-50
chance, I take one out, replace it with the newbie, and turn on the
computer. Boots fine, so the new memory is OK.

BUT, I still don't know if I replaced the right one. I ran the hardware
test again, and, bummer, got the error. No biggie (except it takes a couple
of hours to run). Shut 'er down and swap the other original SIMM (original
sin?).

Boots again, no issue, but just out of curiousity, I run the hardware test
again. Same error!

OK, so do I spend another $60 to replace the other original SIMM, assuming
that both original SIMMs are bad? Or is it going to generate that same
error each dang time, even with 2 new ones?

After I hit "Send," I'm going to fire up the W7 VM and see if it hits the
wall again. I'm also trying to understand the error code (4MEM/62/40000000
0x84e9e998), but so far without success.

Ken