From: ProfoxTech [mailto:profoxtech-boun...@leafe.com] On Behalf Of Tracy
Pearson
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 2:41 PM
To: profoxt...@leafe.com
Subject: RE: Use inkey() ? or ?

Kurt Wendt wrote on 2015-05-12:
>  I am curious. For this application - are you using Forms? If so - you could
> use the Timer Object on the Form.
>
>  -K-

Kurt,

First thoughts, Something that needs to run continuously, is probably running
on a server. No UI is needed.
If it is to run in a scheduled task, having a UI causes the task to fail on
Server 2008 and higher.
When this is an unattended program, the following line should be considered.
    Sys(2335, 0)

Due to personal experience with Timer's triggering some odd things to happen, I
tend  to avoid them.
When you break and look at the debugger, the Timer continues to fire.
If the process that is going takes longer than 5 minutes (unlikely but
possible), the Timer will start the process again. Unless it is specifically
coded to avoid that.

I use the Sleep API call, particularly when the process is a procedural flow,
no UI events to worry with. (With the exception of a Cancel request.) When I
have a UI and need to wait, I use a loop calling Sleep(500) followed by
DoEvents, which prevents the UI from going non-responsive.

Tracy Pearson
PowerChurch Software