I found the difference between an i3 and i5 is massive whereas the difference
from a i5 to i5 is not that great, unless of course you have software that can
really use the additional cores.

As I have said on a few occasions on here, I wouldn't swap my 13" i7 Macbook
Pro with 16Gb for anything as a development machine (running Win 7 on a VM
using VxFusion). I love the backlit keyboard and the intuitive touchpad
gestures that make standard laptops feel antiquated by comparison. My only
gripe is that you can't update the internal memory like the old Macbook pro's
so if you buy one then you are stuck with the memory you inherit forever!
Having said that, 16Gb of Mac memory still performs like 32Gb of regular PC
memory - or at least it feels like it. Also, in FxFusion, the graphics
performance in the VM has come on leaps and bounds in version 10 from that in
V6 which wasn't that long ago.

Damnit ... I think I'm becoming a Fanboi! How sad! Yes it was expensive, but
the applecare warranty means that in 2 years it will still be a saleable
machine should I want to get rid of it.

Only retrospective change I would make would be the 15" screen as opposed to
the 13" model, but seeing as how I run an external monitor on it most of the
time, then it isn't an issue.
Also the switching between virtual screens/sessions is seamless and makes the
smaller screen workable with lots of concurrent apps.

Dave