Jeff,

Try these:
  Get the WAN side IP address of the cable modem and try to ping it
directly without going through the DNS lookup.
  Check the DNS lookup by noting the IP address that ping reports when you
attempt to ping the URL.

One possibility might be that your cable modem is setup to ignore a ping
request but handles other traffic normally.

Joe