I too have a new MacBook Air.  You have three basic choices:

1. Install Office 2016 for Mac.  Expensive choice if she just wants to look at
Word Docs, but if she has an Office 360 subscription the Mac counts as one of
your five machines.

2. “Pages” is a word processor that comes free with any Mac.  It will load
.docx files and she can read them OK, but the user setup is completely
different from Word and I wouldn’t recommend it for creating or editing Word
documents.

3. Libre Office and Open Office are two complete open-source office suites that
have native Mac versions.  Either one can import/export between their native
(open-source) formats and standard MS Office formats.  Libre Office is the one
I use, both have a user interface that is quite similar to Office 2010 and
later, so they are suitable for heavy-duty use.

Dan Covill