FWIW.  There are a limited number of solutions to this correct?

I'd test for a column FormulaType and if present then get that value for
their "process"

Your code base now includes a case statement for that value and does the
correct calculation from there.

Formula in a memo field can get botched either by a file problem or a human
editing one.

If the problem is finite, then, yes, pre-coded and compiled programs are the best option. I didn't read the question that way.

If the set of possible formulas is not fully defined and is known to be likely to change rather frequently, then the formulas should be stored as data.

As for typos, people put their own formulas into Excel all the time, and lots more complicated than the ones in this situation, and they do fine.

As for the dreaded memo file corruption problem in VFP, it's easily and almost completely preventable by good programming practices, and completely trivialized by good backup practices. I haven't had a corrupted memo file since the early 2000s.

But I did point out that the formulas could also be stored in limited-length character fields instead of memos.

Ken Dibble
www.stic-cil.org