Thanks guys for the input.  I had assumed there might be a function to
figure out which code will run the same way Foxpro does.  The problem with
sys(16) is how to get it into the code when I don't know where it is.  I
concluded that I should try to give the routine something to do that will
make it blow up and hopefully give away its location but before I tried
that everything appeared to return to normal. (the debug stuff in the
edited code started working.)

The Visa import routine is included in the project along with others like
Discover and Checking.  An Import control table stores the routine names
along with appropriate parameters.  The routines are called as my code
scans the table and call the appropriate routines.  When I renamed the
routine I changed the name in the control table but did not add the new
routine to the project. The compiler never noticed that a new routine will
be called and does not complain or auto add the new routine.  This behavior
is expected.  As far as I know this approach has nothing to do with the
behavior I experienced but it may be that others may see a connection I
don't.

Thanks again,

Joe