On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 13:11:35 -0500, Mike Copeland <m...@ggisoft.com> wrote:

>Ted Roche wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 3:56 PM, Mike Copeland <m...@ggisoft.com> wrote:
>>> I tried downloading and
>>> burning a DVD to use for the upgrades, and it always asks for a Registration
>>> Key even when updating a valid installation. After it rejected 5 different
>>> keys, three brand new and had never been used, I gave up on that approach.
>>>
>> What's your goal here: avoiding the 3Gb+ download for each
>> workstation, or doing a clean install?
>>
>> I've done the latter, and didn't need to use a registration key by
>> wasting a lot of bandwidth:
>>
>> 1) Do the local "upgrade" to upgrade the existing install to Win10
>> 2) Download the 75 Mb media tool.
>> 3) Use the tool to download the 3Gb+ media AGAIN and create new media
>> for a clean install (USB tab highly recommended!) and then install the
>> clean version over the dirty, upgrade-in-place version.
>Great question, Ted!
>
>My goal is to get this done as easily as possible. Beyond that,
>quickness and reliability are good.
>
>I did download the upgrade tool, then the files to burn an upgrade DVD.
>That's what I tried using on a few systems that I have physical access
>to, and every time I tried using it, one of the very first steps was to
>enter the Windows Key, which I did, and it said the key was invalid. The
>last attempt, which I think was the 4th or 5th machine, I even tried
>using a key that I recently purchased for building a new system, and
>that was rejected as invalid. So, on my scoresheet, DVD upgrade is (1)
>not easy, (2) not quick...although it is reliably failing.
>
>Over the last few days I've upgraded 12 systems and what works best, for
>me, is to either re-enable the Win10 Upgrade icon in the system tray and
>use that (I had disabled the upgrade a few months back with the GWX
>Control Panel from the UltimateOutsider.com) or to download the
>Microsoft updater, which appears to do the same thing as the Win10
>Upgrade utility that was auto-installed.
>
>So all that to say that downloading for each workstation seems to be the
>best approach for me, so far.
>
>And, so far with the exception of Logmein needing to be uninstalled and
>reinstalled, the process has been remarkably reliable and smooth,
>although not fast. Most of the time is spent with modifying the new
>Win10 install to remove/prevent access to various customization features
>that I don't want/need end users to have (corporate environment.) I'm
>seeing where using Active Directory would be a great benefit, but I
>don't plan on doing this long enough to justify making the change now.
>
>Mike

Hi Mike,

there should be a button to Skip the Product Key insert during installation.

The same installation disk should permit clean install and upgrade install.

When you run the "media creation tool" follow these guidelines:

- select Create installation media for another PC

- choose the language, the edition and the architecture (choose 32-bit AND
64-bit)

- choose to create a USB key if you know for sure that the pc's you want
upgrade can boot from a USB drive

Look at the Windows 10 page for further help:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

--
Gianni