On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 8:08 AM, Jean Laeremans
<laeremans.jeanma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Weird. Modal is the rare exception in all my apps. You sound so 80ties. Lol

No, Man-wei has a point, I think. As do you. The key is to create a
consistent design that makes the users productive, whatever it takes.

Windows is a horrible mess of desktop and windowing metaphors. MDI,
the Multiple Document Interface, let people do things like tile all
the windows they had open. I don't think anyone really did that until
MS made Tiles the interface of the Metro. You could stack all of your
windows, although no one really knows why.

In the vast majority of the apps I've delivered, I show the client
things like the ability to look at two orders side by side and they
look at me quizzically and ask why they would want to do that.

Modal windows are a bad workaround to managing state. It's as if, as
Alan Cooper said, in the middle of a collaborative work effort, you
have to stop what you are doing, leave the room, enter another, get
oriented, answer one question, and return to what you are doing. The
costs in context-switching are huge compared to the benefit.