Codemine

Gojko B.
At 15:29 4.11.2016, you wrote:
I've been an advocate for frameworks since I read the original
Codebook book, sitting in a parking lot in Cambridge (our fair city),
Massachusetts.

Imagine starting an application and not having to worry about how to
get the menu working (Help, About, Copy/Cut/Paste, Print settings) and
getting basic dialogs for things like managing reports, managing state
between multiple non-modal forms, a rational (usually!) set of
strategies for data handling, locking, conflict resolution, primary
key generation, relational integrity, grids on tabbed pageframes, etc.

I think frameworks are a great tool for fast startups, well-documented
base classes, and handy utilities. Please feel free to disagree.

In the 90's I was the manager for a group of developers and we worked
as "experts" with clients with pre-existing apps, or designed and
developed apps on our own. As such we got a lot of exposure to most of
the frameworks. Drew Speedie (RIP!) started MaxFrame, now
"Professional" while working as tech editor on Hacker's Guide, and I
was an early and eager beta-tester, also shipping one of the first
client-server MaxFrame apps. We worked with Visual Extend and with
Mere Mortals and others. Sadly, I never got to work with FoxExpress,
although I have the greatest of respect for Mike and Toni's knowledge
and skills.

So, what framework(s) do you work with, and why (or why not)?

__ Built my own

__ Whatever the client runs

__ Codebook

__ COMCodebook