Absolutely since something like SQL Server typically has the data files open
all the time (even when the apps that use
the data are shut down). However, SQL Server Express apps that have the data
locally or in a peer-to-peer setup (which
is not all that uncommon for a vertical market application) often have the
files available to be encrypted if the SQL
Server service is shut down for whatever reason. Just not common.

Unfortunately, VFP apps with VFP data open and close tables as needed and
definitely close them when they are shut down.
I've seen it many times where some tables are good and some are encrypted
because the user was only opening some of them
in the course of using the app.

But VFP data is not the only problem, what about something as simple as an INI
file, or more likely, Word/Excel docs
that are automated, graphic images, and historical PDF reports.

Restoring is only one part of it. You have to consider all the time it takes
being down while restores are happening,
and the cost of the IT people to get things back to normal. And rebuilding the
machine where it was originally opened.
I've seen so much time and money lost by people who are tricked into installing
ransomware, it is not funny. I wish a
couple of them would be tossed in jail and fined to the highest limit to make a
point that they can be caught. They are
geniuses that we probably would not want to compete with in the software
marketplace so it is unlikely.

Easiest way to solve it is to not open stuff that you have no business opening
(although they are remarkably
engineered), and do religious backups of your data. A lot of companies do not
allow attachments.

Ransomware is probably the number one reason we get new subscriptions to
CleverFox Backup these days. People get hit,
find giant hole in their disaster recovery plan, and then get on with solid,
scheduled offsite backups.

Rick
White Light Computing, Inc.

www.whitelightcomputing.com