Paul:

The issue with moving from a VFP record-centric view of data to a
cursor-centric view as is used in most client-server software is that
there are a LOT of gotchas with getting VFP to work that way, and a
lot of design decisions you need to make: do you use cursoradaptors,
remote views, SQL Passthrough? All three are valid and work, but each
has different limitations and issues you need to look out for. Do you
use local cursors tied to the remote data? Or do you build your own
data objects? Will you be switching backends, say from SQL Express to
MariaDB? Then you need to think about a Data Manager and some
translations. Do you buffer the local cursors? Do you buffer the
remote data? How to you handle rollbacks? What's your strategy on data
conflicts: last save wins, rollback and force a retry, or give the
user edit controls of then-now-edited data?

>From experience, you can spend several years working through all of
these questions, and building a robust underpinning to your
application logic, and then find you need to alter your strategies as
you see how your software is being used.

Or, you can build your application using a framework someone else has
already built. They have an opinion about which tools, commands and
strategies to use, and you can build your app on top of their
framework as you learn the details of how it works and perhaps why the
decision decisions were made. You can ship an app in weeks or months
vs. years and continue to enhance it rather than reinventing the
wheel. Back in the day (oh, boy, here goes the geezer tales), I
installed Visual Maxframe, read the documentation, and shipped the
initial app in two weeks.

I have worked with most of the major frameworks: Mere Mortals, Visual
MaxFrame, Codebook, West-Wiind, Visual Extend. Sadly, I haven't worked
with FoxExpress, which I also hear great things about and whose
authors I count as friends. IME, any framework will get you up and
running much faster than building it yourself.

If you want to look at real code that people use in real production
environments and have tested in real-life conditions, then check out
the commercial frameworks. (I haven't shopped in a decade, so perhaps
others can say which are still being maintained)

There are also free ones. I know Codebook is available on this very
forum (https://leafe.com/dls/cb) and there may be others available.