Eugene Vital <> wrote:
> Stephen the Cook wrote:
>>

>>> This is *EXACTLY* why I don't like the idea of dumping desktop apps
>>> for Web applications when a desktop app would more than suffice.
>>> (And no, _Stephen, I'm not talking about sites like Amazon or UPS
>>> or FedEx.  <g>)
>>>

>> I have to deal with installing an app to 500+ locations around the
>> globe if this prototype is accepted.  How would you deploy an app
>> that far with desktop lockdowns?
> Create an install package and have them download and install it...
> How do they install the other 98% of the apps they still use that are
> still NON web based?
>

>> Or would you go for a browser based system where you have rights on
>> the server?
>>

> What  are the requirements of the app?

Just finishing up 60 pages of documentation for that.  It's a quality
control thing where we are trying to find problems earlier and deal with
them in real time instead of next shift kind of thing.

> What is it supposed to do?

Receive a transaction for a "problem/issue" I have to display that data on
large TV sets so others can see a problem and react.

Data entry is from shop floor via a PDA in real time.  Web browser here.

> Will this require a server side setup ?

No it's all web.

> Will all the users be connecting to the same server?

The Americas will.  Europe and Asia will share or not but that is to be
decided after we see this Americas version.

> Who is to say that the URL isn't locked down too?
IntraNet app.

> Did you develop the web based version to work across all browsers
> (standards based) or assume all  users will use be forced to use  IE
> man you would be surprised at how many FireFox installations I have
> seen out there.....

FireFox and IE.  We will see the log to see of others are out there.

> Will you be using an all Microsoft solution?
No Data on DB2 and Oracle.  Using VB.NET (2003) & ASP.NET same version on a
Win2000 server running IIS5.

> You haven't given anyone enough information to make an informed
> decision.

How about what I just supplied?

> For me this is a piss poor argument and one I am particularly tired of
> ;)  It ranks right up there with "Why reinvent the wheel?" on my shit
> list.  8-)

This is a PDA collection app.  That is snuck in above.  I have to catch
events quickly.

Stephen Russell
DBA / .Net Developer

Memphis TN 38115
901.246-0159

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided
missiles and misguided men." Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

http://spaces.msn.com/members/srussell/