On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 8:24 AM, Ted Roche <tedro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 9:04 AM, Michael Madigan <mmadi10...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > Yes, I was just wondering since it doesn't have to do the calculation
> every time it updates
> >

> But you have to do the calculation for the denormalized balance field
> you're putting into the table, every time you update any records
> principal, payments or adjustments. And denormalization brings along
> other dangers.
>
> I *think* every index expression is evaluated each time a record is
> updated, for that one record only. But the amount of time to do a
> three-element addition of the record in memory is pretty
> inconsequential in the big scheme of things.
>
> As always, the only way to determine how it works in your system on
> your hardware with your data is to test it in that environment. Book
> chapters and magazine columns have been written on performance
> optimization, and sometimes it's not as intuitive as you'd think.
> Reality has a funny way of not conforming to theory. DELETED() tags
> always speed up queries, until they don't. My favorite J Booth,
> "Sometimes you have to go slower to go faster."
>
> Is there a performance problem you're trying to solve, or was this
> just idle curiousity?
>
> ---------------------

Indexes are great when they are used and better when the index is optimized
for the use.  The simple PKey or FKey is a no brainer on both need and
value. Complex indexes are a different breed.  Just because you created it
will Rushmore think it worthy of use?    An index on a calculated column is
a poor design choice.

I reality VFP is probably doing a table scan and it is real fast doing that
with the volume of data you currently have.

--
Stephen Russell
Sr. Analyst

901.246-0159 cell