5 pound sledge hammer (oh, and wear your safety glasses).

-----Original Message-----
From: ProfoxTech [mailto:profoxtech-boun...@leafe.com] On Behalf Of Ted
Roche
Sent: Saturday, July 1, 2017 5:40 AM
To: profoxt...@leafe.com
Subject: Re: [NF] has anyone played with Linux on a thumb drive?

On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 5:46 AM, Man-wai Chang <chan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks. But do you need a special tool if you used /dev/random as
> input to the dd command?

How many passes do you make? Do you ensure you flip each bit on and then
off? What about the spare space automatically allocated by the drive and
then hidden from view? What about bad sectors?

Like encryption, it's often better not to DIY.

Paranoia is a bottomless pit. If you just want to scrub old accounting
files, I'm sure your technique works fine. (As does one of my clients who
takes his old HDDs to the shooting range for target practice.)

But for the lazy amongst us, issuing the scrub command with appropriate
settings can get your disk scrubbed to DOD standards or better.

I often take apart the drive afterwards to salvage the supermagnets
(hint: a compass helps locate them).