Well, actually, he geek-splains...

On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 4:38 AM, AndyHC <a...@hawthorncottage.com> wrote:
> On 06-Jan-2018 1:50 AM, Ed Leafe wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 5, 2018, at 9:00 AM, Ed Leafe <e...@leafe.com> wrote:
>> ....And, of course, the required xkcd take on things:
>>
>> https://xkcd.com/1938/
>>

>> -- Ed Leafe
>>

> <snip>
>

> Well ... if you *need* to believe that software can patch hardware design
> faults....

It's a thumb in the dike, not a fix. Firmware updates and eventually
new chip designs are necessary.

> and you also believe that these clever patches have either (a) been written
> in 48 hours

No, under the rules of limited disclosure, the discoverers notified
the hardware and software vendors some time ago, and the disclosure
has been under embargo until such time as Microsoft and Google and
Mozilla and Apple had patches ready to go.

  or (b) been written well in advance *and* that's not
> sinister....

While it's getting a bit long in the tooth (2014), "Countdown to Zero
Day" by Kim Vetter has a good layperson's description of the zero day
marketplace, and the white-, black- and grey-hat hackers who make
serious money ($100,000 USD or more for root-level exploit, in some
cases). Is it sinister? Absolutely. Like all marketplaces, there are
good guys, there are bad guys and there are seriously-scary bad guys
(and governments). In this case, some geeks figured out an obscure way
to poke through the garbage pile that CPUs discard and build it into
an exploit. And chose to make white-hat money.

> - - - - -now I know I've got a Sinclair Scientific calculator and a abacus
> around here somewhere.....

Once I get my C=64 hooked up to the internet, I'll be all set!

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC