Hi Gene:

To talk with an example, if you have this:

oObj = createobject("custom")
reference = "oObj"

The you have at least 3 options:

1) The way you know =>  &reference..referredto

2) Using evaluate =>  =Evaluate(reference + ".referredto")

3) My preferred: Caching the object and then using it:

oRef = Evaluate(reference)
? oRef.refered1
? oRef.refered2