I ran into something like you're discussing below back in 2017 (?) but thankfully my client just moved to my newer version of software that used a MariaDB (MySQL) backend instead of the DBFs. The old DBF version for them was suffering network/corruption problems.  Interestingly enough, those problems went away when we made the switch.  (Ever since Bob Lee's MySQL session at WhilFest in 2002/2003, I've never used DBFs on the backend for things I've built.)