Ok sorry to bother everyone, this is no longer a problem and never was an SQL
problem.

The cloud provider the client was using got hacked with ransomware 3 days
before Christmas and
shut down the entire operation and all the companies that were running on their
servers. The original
ransom was $3 million so we assumed everything was done at that cloud provider.

We had good backups of the SQL data but they did not have backups for the
supporting config files mostly still DBF files ...

It took several days to get new AWS servers setup and configured and the SQL
data restored. Since we lost most of the config
files we were guessing at the setup and somehow there is a setting that limits
the string length of the return messages coming
from my VFP9 app. When they setup the new AWS servers they installed SQL 2016
and we assumed there must be a problem since we
did not have the problem on the SQL 2012 on the old servers. You know what they
say about assuming.

So the cloud provider somehow talked the hackers into reducing the ransom to
$50,000 and they paid it 2 days after Christmas.
Since we where having so many problems getting the new AWS servers up and
running, we went back to the old servers and transferred
all the IP's back to the old servers and they were back in business.

So we have been working the last week or so trying to find a solution to get
the VFP9 app to run correctly on the AWS servers with
SQL 2016. Turns out it was never a problem and just a setting that was not
entered correctly in the VFP9 app.

Thanks for your help and long live the FOX !!

This app has been running strong since 2002, that is 20 years of processing
gift and reward cards 24/7 !!