Eugene Vital wrote:
> Stephen the Cook wrote:
>
>> Ed Leafe <> wrote:

>>>     If they are going to be using the database server in-house and not
>>> creating distributable apps, or otherwise distributing the MySQL
>>> code, then there is no cost.
>>>
>>>     PostgreSQL (the correct spelling) is 100% zero-cost in all cases. MS
>>> SQL is 100% high-code in all cases. MySQL is dual-licensed, under
>>> either the GPL or a commercial license. If your usage complies with
>>> the GPL license, there is no cost for MySQL. If you want to release a
>>> non-GPL app, the commercial license can cost a few hundred dollars.
>>> I'm not sure on the cost, as I haven't had a need to purchase any
>>> licenses.
>>>

>> I'll go out on a limb and guess that high-code should have been high-cost in
>> all cases.  If so that is an incorrect statement.  SQL Express is Free,  and
>> has some limitations like it's fore runner MSDE.    The size of the database
>> did double to 4 gig for free.
>>
>> There is also a "Free" version for Oracle as well as DB2.
>>
>> I was not aware of the PostgreSQL situation and would look to that as a
>> starting point.  Unfortunately you don't find that listed as a database for
>> Hosted Servers frequently.
>>

> Actually if you Google it you find quite a few.
>
> I am working on 2 separate projects at the moment each of which uses
> PostgreSQL server running on Linux. If you haven't checked it out in a
> while you owe it to yourself
> to do it. They just released 8.2 and the PGAdminIII utility has really
> come a long way.
>
> I haven't tried the Windows version yet but hey - I have a few spare
> minutes lets see how hard it can be.....

    7:57pm download started.
    8:02pm download finished.
    8:03pm extracted zipped files.
    8:04pm read install manual ( actually read it before but to be fair...).
    8:06pm started install from MSI.
    8:10pm setup finished.
    8:12pm update pg_hba.conf to allow trusted login
    8:13pm logged in with pgAdminIII and created new user
    8:13pm update pg_hba.conf to force MD5 login
    8:13pm logged with pgAdminIII  as new user and server is up and running.

16 minutes - not bad

BTW: for those interested they do have a silent install for Windows
http://pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org/silent.html