Stephen the Cook wrote:
> Ed Leafe <> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 8, 2007, at 9:42 AM, MB Software Solutions wrote:
>>

>>> Well, I wouldn't say it so brashly, but I've felt that way somewhat
>>> about the VFP DE for some time, as I thought it tied you into a VFP
>>> backend pretty much.  Using a different approach (like n-tier in my
>>> case) allows me much more flexibility, imo.
>>>
>>      Well, sure; it doesn't make sense to lock in your design to one
>> thing. You can define a connection to MySQL, and if later you want to
>> change to an MS SQL Server backend, all you have to do is update the
>> connection information, and everything will still work.
>>

> You still need to adjust code per backend for joins, date math and such.
> Oracle / DB2 / MySQL are all different in these cases.

Yes, but the variations are not great.  In the open source n-tier
project I posted on Ed's OpenTech forum, I used a simple DBF that listed
the default SQL, specific backend SQL (for overriding the default SQL),
primary key, candidate keys, updatable fields, etc. and that design was
pretty easy, imo.  Sure, there are subtle differences, but no show
stoppers or big deals, imo.

--
Michael J. Babcock, MCP
MB Software Solutions, LLC