Hardly, despite all the constant dropping of Lincoln's name. But it
seems that Bush is actually the new LBJ.

        You know all those weird parallels between Kennedy and Lincoln?
Well, it was forty years to the day that LBJ gave his speech
announcing the escalation of the war in Vietnam that Bush announced
his plans for the escalation of the occupation of Iraq. This site
compares LBJ's words with Bush's:

http://www.attytood.com/2007/01/eday_it_was_40_years_ago_today.html
( -or- http://tinyurl.com/yx6sop )

LBJ, Jan. 10, 1967: We have chosen to fight a limited war in Vietnam
in an attempt to prevent a larger war--a war almost certain to
follow, I believe, if the Communists succeed in overrunning and
taking over South Vietnam by aggression and by force. I believe, and
I am supported by some authority, that if they are not checked now
the world can expect to pay a greater price to check them later.

GWB, Jan. 10, 2007: Tonight in Iraq, the Armed Forces of the United
States are engaged in a struggle that will determine the direction of
the global war on terror – and our safety here at home. The new
strategy I outline tonight will change America's course in Iraq, and
help us succeed in the fight against terror.

LBJ, Jan. 10, 1967: We have chosen to fight a limited war in Vietnam
in an attempt to prevent a larger war--a war almost certain to
follow, I believe, if the Communists succeed in overrunning and
taking over South Vietnam by aggression and by force. I believe, and
I am supported by some authority, that if they are not checked now
the world can expect to pay a greater price to check them later.

GWB, Jan. 10, 2007: The challenge playing out across the broader
Middle East is more than a military conflict. It is the decisive
ideological struggle of our time…In the long run, the most realistic
way to protect the American people is to provide a hopeful
alternative to the hateful ideology of the enemy – by advancing
liberty across a troubled region.

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com
-- http://dabodev.com