Hi Chet !

     Just a thought -  D/L & burn a Knoppix CD (or DVD - a lot more goodies)
and pop it into your pc & re-boot.   If  USB & printer work - you know for
sure it's WinBlows that is the problem !      Knoppix is a live CD/DVD that
runs completely off the cd - no need for hd, and it's excellent at picking
up hardware.  (Ubuntu is based on Knoppix ...)

       You might have to use another pc to d/l & burn a good copy -

               http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

       There's a ton of software already there - and an easy installer,
if you want to put it on the hard drive.  Audacity might do for your
audio work ....      and there's a VM already there too, for VFP ....
and K3B will burn cd's & dvd's ...

--
                                       ......bobp
                             http://www.prosumers.ca